02 Jun [Vacancy] research assistant
About Scope of Work
INSPIRASI (Inisiatif Kepemimpinan Pendidikan untuk Raih Prestasi), is an independent and non-profit foundation with goals to help addressing the learning crisis in Indonesia through developing effective school leadership practices. INSPIRASI is affiliated with the Global School Leaders (GSL) network, consists of like-minded initiatives focusing on school leadership development in several countries, such as India, Malaysia and Kenya.
INSPIRASI has begun its work by piloting a 1.5 year continuous professional development program for 25 primary school (SD and MI) principals and senior teachers of moderate to low performing schools in Karawang District, West Java starting in July 2019 till December 2020. The pilot aims at developing a model for school leadership development program of principals that can be used to make an impact on student learning at scale throughout Indonesia and serve as a demonstration model relevant for government and education stakeholders.
The planned evaluation is an endline assessment which builds upon a baseline assessment conducted in July 2019. The purpose of this endline are:
- Evaluating to what extent the program changes school principals’ practices, teachers’ teaching practices & students’ learning achievement
- Identifying the role of the pilot program in producing these changes (causal attribution)
About the Role
As a Research Assistant, the individual will work with the Lead Researcher and INSPIRASI internal consultants throughout the implementation of endline assessment. The initial phase is expected to take place in July – December 2020, while the fieldwork/data collection is expected in January 2021. The data analysis and report writing are expected to take place in February – March 2021.
The role, whilst supported by a small team, requires the individual to work with a high degree of pro-activity and independence. The Research Assistant will report to the INSPIRASI Program Director.
The followings are the key responsibilities, but are not limited to:
- Desk research on the baseline design & instruments and the pilot program details
- Contribute to the finalisation of the design and methodology for the endline assessment
- Prepare, maintain, and update data collection tools & study protocols
- Prepare required logistics & monitor the usage
Data collection phase
- Assist the process of piloting the data collection tools & study protocols
- Assist the enumerator recruitment & the training
- Coordinate & communicate with targeted respondents
- Maintain accurate records of collected data, safeguarding the confidentiality of subjects, as necessary
- Conduct data collection, data entry & data cleaning according to the protocols laid out by study design & lead researcher
- Provide ready access to all collected/cleaned data
- Conduct statistical analyses of data sets
- Prepare graphs and spreadsheets to portray results, as required by reports
INSPIRASI is looking an individual with the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree required, preferably a master’s degree
- 1-2 years of work experience carrying out research or program evaluation, with documented experiences in research and/or conducting evaluation, including managing the data.
- Experience in following detailed protocol and procedures in the recording, processing, and routine analysis of field data
- Experience in using technologies for data collection and analysis and working with qualitative data.
- Native in Bahasa Indonesia and English literate
To be successful in this role, you’ll generally need the following skills and qualities:
Analytical skills: Research assistants are often asked to collect and analyze data and to manage and update existing databases. They might also conduct literature reviews or field research.
Technical skills: Research assistants may need to use technologies in collecting/analysing data.
Observational skills: Research assistants need to be able to work in a highly accurate manner, paying close attention to detail and keeping records of their work.
Time-management skills: When dealing with data and statistics, it’s important to be able to meet project deadlines and manage your time to accomplish your goals.
What we offer
This is not a full-time position, but output basis based on agreed deliverables with maximum 15 working days per month. Works are mostly done remotely but travel to Jakarta to have discussions with the team are required & stay in Karawang during fieldwork. Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and competitive with the non-profit education sector in Indonesia.
Interested candidates may apply by sending their CV and a cover letter stating how this position aligns with his/her professional experiences and aspirations to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 June, 2020.
Please include “Application for Research Assistant_<name>” in the subject line of your email.